April 8, 2008

Changing the world, one step at a time

I know there is more that I can do to live a green, healthy life. However it is a process. I figure it is one step at a time. For me, living green isn't only about keeping trash out of landfills, it is about having less trash to put there. Additionally, being green is about being healthy. There are a lot of things we consume that impact our existence.

It isn't always easy. McDonalds drive through is so much faster than making dinner at home, and cheaper than many sit down meals, however is it healthy? What is the long term impact?

Anyhow, I could go on and on in greater detail on each of these things, but for now, I'll leave you with a list! :-)

Some of the things I currently do:
  • Recycle
  • Use cold water when washing clothes
  • Try to buy items with less packaging / in bulk
  • Volunteer
  • Turn off the lights when I leave the room
  • Only use rice milk (no cows milk)
  • Use glass containers (no plastic in the microwave!)
  • Working on eating less meat and more fruits and veggies
  • Eating less fast food
  • Recycle ink cartridges
  • Use craigslist and ebay to buy and sell items
  • Reuse packaging, boxes, or containers if possible
  • Purchase locally grown fruits and veggies (when possible seasonally)
  • Use old socks for cleaning rags
  • When I have to print, I print back to back instead of using 2 separate pages
  • Air dry jeans instead of machine drying
  • Raid my sisters closet (and let her go through mine) instead of always buying new clothes
  • Take thing to Goodwill and sometimes find treasures there as well! :)
  • Use fans and windows to cool a room
Here are some fun and creative ways you can help others and Mother Earth.
What things do you and your family do to increase healthy, green living?

5 comments:

  1. I actually wrote a whole post on this a few weeks back.

    You should look into CSA (also mentioned in my post). I think you'd really like it.

    Post is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like the Goodwill option. In fact, I have a stack of stuff to take to them. It feels good to get rid of stuff - and know that it might be helping someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so concern about this, I wish everybody does. I also do most of your list. little things together will become BIG.
    good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many simple things you can do. We've started drinking soy milk, not eating fast food, and reusing grocery bags. It's so simple once you get in the habit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this post. we have been trying to do our part as well. it's always fun to read other people's ideas and get inspiration!

    ReplyDelete