June 7, 2008

Expanding my mind through travel

For about a week now, I have been teasing you all with promises of my vacation story. I even posted a a few pictures here. We had a great time. I like my vacations on the relaxing side, thus we always try to take our time, exploring...
Here is our approximate driving route:


We live in some obscure part of MN. Our first night was in Wisconsin Dells as we left late in the afternoon. The 2nd night was stayed in Port Huron, two rooms down from Eddie Money. The 3rd night near Kitchener, Ontario. On this day we made a few stops here and there. My favorites this day were the beach at Grand Bend and Southampton beach.We spent some of the later part the day searching for waterfalls.

The fourth day we saw a couple more falls, and then drove to Niagara Falls! It is amazing! If you have the chance to see it, do! We were able to do the tour behind the Horseshoe Falls. It was SO much fun, and we ended up soaked! We walked around for awhile and stayed for the fireworks show! We stay in Niagara Falls, NY.

On the 5th night Lake Erie State Park. This day we spent some time at the NY state Park around Niagara, and then headed down the shores of Lake Erie. We walked along the beach after setting up our tent. It was so peaceful. We even built a couple
inuksuks (I fell in love with these during my first trip to Canada... go ahead, google it... I'll wait, just don't forget to come back! Yeah, I realize it is a symbol of Canada and I was in NY... )!

After sleeping quite well on the tent, we spent a little more time on the beach, and then headed down the road. It ended up being a bit of driving, but did stop at the Cleveland Zoo for a couple hours. We have a MN zoo pass, which is valid at many other zoos, including Cleveland. However, the pass has my name on it and is valid for me plus one. This allows me to take my husband, a friend, or family member. We paid for 2 zoo members. Unfortunately, the Cleveland zoo didn't see it this way (even after we explained it, and showed our card which also explained it). I got in with my pass, however my husband had to pay. Ish.We didn't get to see everything there we wanted due to the closing time, however it was a nice zoo. My only complaint, other than my husband not getting in with our membership, would have to be the appartant construction of a highway/interstate through the middle of the zoo. I'm not sure what that is about. Seems strange to me. We spend the night in Hammond IN.


We spend our last day away from home, the 29th in Chicago and then driving the rest of the way home. We had a great time in Chicago! We rode to the top of the Sears tower, saw Buckingham Fountain, went to the Field Museum, and had deep dish pizza! The drive home was not as much fun as it rained into the night, however it was nice to sleep in our own bed!

Oh, we try not to eat fast food, but found out McDonalds has $1 ice cream cones. Needless to say, we had several throughout our trip

Here are a few more photos!




3 comments:

  1. Great photos! It looks like such a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time! We have a zoo membership as well, but I did not think to print out the list of participating zoos & museums for our recent trip to Boston. We were told at the Museum of Science that they were not participants, when I was 99.99% sure that they were. Needless to say the list is in my travel bag permenantly now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the photos.......looks and sounds like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete